At S&S, we service and repair a wide number of vehicles including most makes of car, vans and lorries and pride ourselves on the services that we offer to our customers.
Our services include diagnosing faults, repairing or replacing :
Six Monthly Vehicle Service or every 10,000miles.
- Engine oil and oil filter change. Engine oil loses its effectiveness over time; it needs to be replaced to extend engine life. Older vehicles often need natural oils rather than synthetic oils.
- Check and adjust drive belt tension. Drive belts operate alternators, fans, power steering and air conditioning. Loose or slipping drive belts can result in loud squealing and engine failure.
- Check and clean spark plugs. Spark plugs need to be checked for excessive vehiclebon deposits, oil and oxidation, which can highlight other problems in the engine.
- Check and top up automatic transmission fluid level. Excessive reductions in transmission fluid can mean other elements of the transmission system may need examination and replacement.
- Check wear on brake pads and replace if necessary. Obtain brake pads that are appropriate for your vehicle and follow the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Inspect brake hydraulic system hoses and pipes for leakages and corrosion.
- Renew fuel line filter. A common problem in old vehicles occurs when the sediment at the bottom of the fuel tank flows through the fuel lines and clogs the fuel filter.
- Inspect tyres for tread wear and damage. Extend the life of your vehicle’s tyres by regular rotation of the tyres.
- Take note of the pattern of wear on your tyres, as this can also indicate other problems in the vehicle such as suspension, steering and wheel balancing.
- Visual check of windscreen wipers, battery condition, charging system, exhaust condition, coolant and anti-freeze levels and windscreen washer levels.
Also it may be necessary to change the timing belt and other items as per requirements set out in the maintenance schedule for your vehicle.
Annual Vehicle Service or every 20,000 miles
- A 12 monthly service will include everything in the six monthly service plus: cleaning the air filter element, renewing the spark plugs, changing the manual transmission fluid, checking rear axle lubricant level and re-greasing front wheel bearings, adjusting park brake, wheel alignment and steering angles checked and headlight beams aligned.
As with the six month service, it may be necessary to change the timing belt and other items as per requirements set out in the maintenance schedule for your vehicle.
Regular vehicle services are important to keep your vehicle road worthy and ensure your safety when on the road.
Other than normal servicing we carry out the following repairs and other services.
A blown head gasket may cause a number of different symptoms. Coolant in the engine oil, an engine misfire or oil leaking from the engine could all be a symptom. Each of these symptoms could also have other causes and an actual blown head gasket may show none of the above symptoms.
When it comes to car servicing, timing belt/cam belt replacement is without doubt the most important serviceable component of a car’s engine. Not only does it carry out an incredibly important job controlling the camshafts in the engine and keeps it running smoothly, but if left unchanged and it breaks, it can seriously lighten your wallet.
It is important that you know the change interval of your timing belt/cambelt as going over the manufacturers’ recommendation can lead to a slipped or snapped belt. In many cases this requires a new engine or engine build costing hundreds if not thousands of pounds. Sometimes it may equate to you scrapping your car as the cost to repair the damage outweighs the value of the car.
Pre M.O.T. inspections can be carried out for you and any necessary repairs carried out prior to your M.O.T.
If only for safety reasons, vehicle braking systems need to be kept in a good, safe condition. We inspect and replace parts as needed. It is essential that the brakes on your vehicle are checked regularly as part of a service or when they are not functioning efficiently.
Air conditioners are an often neglected item and as such, they are subject to failure. We recommend that the system should be checked during regular servicing or at least 18 months to 2 years to ensure it operates at maximum efficiency. If you let the system run low on refrigerant the compressor has to work twice as hard and will therefore wear out in half the time.
A vehicle clutch normally provides dependable service for thousands of miles. However, stop and go traffic will wear out a clutch quicker than highway driving. Everytime a clutch is engaged, the clutch disc and other components are subjected to considerable heat, friction, and wear. A common problem is where a driver rides the clutch; that is where the driver rests their foot on the clutch pedal while driving.
As important as the brakes, worn or damaged tyres can be dangerous and should be checked regularly We can check your tyres for wear and tear. Unusual tyre wear patterns can indicate tracking problems and other faults.
Modern cars are getting more complex and many of the systems rely on fault free electrics, from the engine management system to the lights and ancillary equipment
It’s important to have the vehicle exhaust system on your vehicle in tip-top condition. We can check, supply and fit exhausts for most vehicles.
We have many other services that can help keep your vehicle on the road. Why not give us a call and we will be pleased to help.
Local recovery, pick up and and drop off service is available in our local area, please call us for details.
For your convenience, We accept all major credit cards